Big Sandy College – Student Discussion Panel
|The Office of Cultural Diversity held a forum for students today on the Prestonsburg campus.|
There was a Student Discussion Panel today at Big Sandy Community and Technical College. The event was from 11:00 am to 12:00 pm. There were about 24 professors and faculty members present, and seven students that were presenting for the panel. My Professor had previously asked me if I was interested to participate in it since I come from a Middle Eastern background. Of course, I said yes.
Two of Big Sandy’s faculty members sent me an email so I can be prepared. I thought that it will be better to attach the email they sent me here so you all will know exactly what went on.
Some of the Questions that I answered were:
“1. Name and place of origin?
2. What would you like people to know about you?
3. What has been your experience with the culture in this region, and environment at the College?
4. You may be asked to define any words you use to describe yourself. Words from one culture may be interpreted differently in another culture. For instance: What does the term “Queen” mean?
5. Our moderator will ask questions to help audience become engaged in discussion to better educate the audience and to dispel myths, stereotypes and lack of understanding, so he may ask you to clarify or expound on certain points or topics for the purpose of helping the audience better understand your responses.
6. Questions from the audience of approximately 20 persons (faculty or staff) may be asked– and answered according to level of comfort with the question. You may decline to answer any question and the moderator will handle the situation, so RELAX and help educate us.
7. Our panel moderator will be Jeremy Dempsey, Communications faculty from Pikeville campus.”